Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Submitting to One Another

As the very few who read my very limited work probably know, I spoke in ONE28 last Sunday and spoke on the topic of submission and humility as presented in 1 Peter 5:5-7. During my Bible reading this morning of 1 Corinthians 8, I started thinking about what Peter meant when he tells us to submit to one another and be clothed with humility. 1 Cor. 8 gives me a very clear picture of what submitting to one another looks like.

First of all, the Apostle Paul reminds in v. 1 that "Knowledge puffs up, but love edifies." If we were to remember this in our daily interactions with others we would have far less conflict in our relationships with one another. But we tend to think, or at least I do, "I understand this, but I have to be right and so must (whomever I am thinking about or talking to), because we are to work towards Christ likeness which is perfection." In saying this, I assume that I have it all figured out and that is when my attitude turns to pride and selfishness, which leads to anger. Working and fighting for truth and perfection in all things is right, but as Paul continues on in v. 2, "If anyone thinks that he knows anything, he knows nothing yet as he ought to know." Talk about a smack down by God's proverbial hammer of a right hand. We will never have the mind of our Almighty Father and as such we will not know everything perfectly. He did give us the truth we needed, His Word, but we must be diligent to work through it and go to it for our understanding and lean on it instead our own understanding. This is when I get puffed is when I think that I have a firm understanding of the concept. I think this because I heard some sermon on it, or read a something about it, but did not really search the Scriptures for myself and gain a firm understanding for myself. So I force my poor understanding on others with a hypocritical and proud attitude. This is not submitting to one another in humility.

Paul continues on in chapter 8 and is talking about liberty in the Church and specifically about eating meat that has been offered to idols. In the Corinthian church, many new believers were struggling with those "who have knowledge" because they were eating in meat offered to idols, which was against their sensitive consciences. Paul admonishes his hearers to not cause those with weak consciences to stumble by flaunting our understanding and liberty. When we act this way we are not thinking of our brothers in Christ. Paul questions us by asking in v. 11, "because of your knowledge shall the weak brother perish, for whom Christ died?" He goes on and says in v. 12, "when you thus sin against brethren, and wound their weak conscience, you sin against Christ." When we do not submit to one another and seek to edify each other, but instead use our "knowledge and understanding" as a stumbling block, we are committing a grievous sin. We are sinning against ours and their Savior.

If we are to submit to one another in humility then we should be willing, as Paul purposes and commends in v. 13, to "never again eat meat, lest I make my brother stumble." Paul sets the example by willingly setting aside his desires and freedoms to edify and show love and compassion to his fellow brethren. This is how we are to submit in humility to one another, willingly lay down our life, in death and life, for our brothers, whom Christ died to save.

2 comments:

Leila said...

I think it was Calvin you quoted as saying that "knowledge without humility = pride." So it was with Satan, I suppose, because he had perfect knowledge of God, but no humility in response to that because he didn't want to subject himself to the Almighty. This is such a good reminder that even if God has blessed us with understanding, we must deal with others in humility, remembering all we have is because of Him, anyway.

Andy B. said...

Thank you Beautiful.