Monday, March 19, 2007

Future Thoughts

I have not posted in a long time and my good friend Curtis, the blogging fiend, has challenged me to blog once a day this week. He laid down this gauntlet because it is my spring break, sharing my marinations is good, and it is beneficial, for myself (and him, he says), to put what I have been learning into writing, hopefully in an organized manner.
So here we go.

Last quarter at the UW, my second to last one (woohoo!), I took a class on the city of Rome. It was a history, art history, and Italian class all wrapped up into one. During this class, I had the assignment and privilege of reading some of St. Augustine's
On the City of God. Augustine was an amazing man, and his writings, especially this one, are full of theological marinations. When I read through this I was struck with his love and awe for Christ and His Church. If you are not familiar with this great and important work or man (a vital work and man of Christian history), then here is a quick synopsis of both.

Augustine (short for his Latin name Aurelius Augustinus) was born in the year 354 A.D. (none of this BCE and CE nonsense) in a Roman North African city. His mother was a Christian and his father was a pagan. He received his early training in Latin Literature and earned his living as a teacher of rhetoric (very important for a Roman man to learn). He later joined the Manicheans and a few years later became disillusioned. In 387 A.D., Augustine became a Christian with the help of St. Ambrose, and most importantly through the sovereign grace of God. He returned to Africa and established a monastic community; in 391 he was ordained a priest at Hippo (not the animal), becoming bishop there in 395.
For the remainder of his life, he preached and wrote prolifically, defining points of Christian doctrine and engaging in theological controversy with the Manicheans, the Donatists, and the Pelagians.
Augustine wrote
On the City of God (22 books, written from 413 to 426 [don't worry I didn't have to read them all]). In this massive text, he constructs an apology for Christianity against the accusation that the Church was responsible for the decline of the Roman Empire, and its sacking in 410 AD by the Visigoths.
So now that you have the context behind the
City of God, I'll share what about is so important to actually make me blog about it.

Throughout the text, Augustine is comparing the Heavenly City and the earthly City. He uses Rome as the quintessential example of the earthly City. This city is a city dominated by sin and lust for self-glorification. One good quote from the first book, chapter 30 explains his thoughts about the earthly City:

Why is it that you put the blame on this Christian era, when things go wrong? Is it not because you are anxious to enjoy your vice without interference, and to wallow in your corruption, untroubled and unrebuked? For if you are concerned for peace and general prosperity, it is not because you want to make decent use of these blessings, with moderation, with restraint, with self-control, with reverence. No! It is because you seek an infinite variety of pleasure with a crazy extravagance, and your prosperity produces a moral corruption far worse than all the fury of an enemy.

Sounds like a good description of those who love to bash on Christianity today and blame it for all the evils in our society, but really they just want to live life as their own authority and judge. They hate God and revile against His glorious name. We who are saved must remember that we were just like this, as Ephesians 2 says, we "
were dead in the trespasses and sins, in which you once walked," but here is the best part the big "BUT" of verse 4 (you need to go read that on your own, in fact read the whole context surrounding it).

Later on in Augustine's text (Book XIV, Ch. 28), he describes the character of the two cities, and again I will quote it because it is too good to be left out:

We see then that the two cities were created by two kinds of love: the earthly city was created by self-love reaching the point of contempt for God, the Heavenly City by the love of God carried as far as contempt of self. In fact, the earthly city glories in itself, the Heavenly City glories in the Lord (he cites 2 Cor. 10:17). The former looks for glory from men, the latter finds its highest glory in God, the witness of a good conscience. The earthly lifts up its head in its in own glory, the Heavenly City says to its God: 'My glory; you lift up my head' (cites Ps. 3:3). . . . The one city loves its own strength shown in its powerful leaders; the other says to its God, 'I will love you, my Lord, my strength' (cites Ps. 18:1).

He continues on to describe the wisdom those in the earthly city, who "live by men's standards", and says about the Heavenly City that "man's only wisdom is the devotion which rightly worships the true God, and looks for its reward in the fellowship of the saints, not only holy men but also holy angels, 'so that God may be all in all' (cites 1 Cor. 15:28).

After Augustine's salvation, he did all he did so that "God may be all in all." Can you and I say that about our lives? If I took an honest look at myself, definitely not, but God has been faithful to His all and has progressed me closer to living for His glory alone. I am so thankful that God did not leave me in my "earthly city" state and changed my heart to be a heart belonging to the "Heavenly City".

I titled this post "Future Thoughts" because God's glory should be what all of our thoughts should be locked in on, let alone our future thoughts, but lately with the end of my undergraduate schooling approaching, grad school on the horizon, my future job, and plans for when to start trying for little 'bambinos,' that have been roaming through my wife and my minds. With all these things rampaging my tired brain, I forget that I need to look to Christ and His glory in all things, the past, present, and future. God must be all in all in my thoughts and plans, and if He is not, He will destroy my idols because He does not share his glory with another (Is. 42:8).

8 comments:

Tony Kevin said...

Wow. What a great post. It has been a while. I guess you were just building up anticipation, eh? ;)

I appreciate this post (in a way, a history lesson) because it reminds me of Gods ability to save the most lost of people. Like I was.

Thanks man. Miss you :)

tk

Andy B. said...

Miss you too, brudder.

Leila said...

Thanks Babe - that was a great post, with quite good grammar, no less! You're a blessing to me - I love you! Too often I forget that I'm a citizen of the Heavenly City, and get stuck in the mire of the earthly one.

cwblogger said...

WOW! That was a great first post of the year! One post down and only four to go! I could use Thee Bowers weekly addition! Maybe you should figure out how to bless us with more of this!

I am excited to see that your secular education is making you depend more on Christ! Keep it coming, brother!

Micah James Lugg said...

Thanks for the encouragement brother. Keep sharing the ruminations.

iron girl said...

Hey that is so meaningful! Thanks for the little bio on Agestine, I never really knew to much about him. Thank you for the great reminder to look to the future but trust in Christ, alone.

Anonymous said...

great post.now try updating.:)

Bekah said...

by the way. My official title for you is "Blogging Bugger" and it is for your lack of blogging!!!! BOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! You had the WHOLE SUMMER off with no school and you didn't blog ONCE, not even once!! You blogging bugger!